At Hardee & Hardee, we believe one way to improve the communities in which we serve is to help keep people safe. We can make a difference by helping to reduce the number of injuries and fatalities caused by distracted driving. One way we are doing this is by partnering with WITN in the Don’t Drive Distracted Campaign.
Distracted driving continues to rank as one of the top traffic safety issues at the forefront of many drivers’ minds. Every year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road. Almost 50% of people who say they feel less safe than they did five years ago say distracted driving by other drivers is their main concern.
Our firm as adopted the Safe Driving Policy. Our employees are committed to promoting safe driving practiced on a professional and personal basis. Following are the principles to be shared by all.
I will be a safer driver by:
- Driving without texting,
- Driving without using any hand-held device of any kind,
- Reducing, with the goal of eliminating, all/most cell phone use, including hands-free or Bluetooth,
- Letting calls go to voice mail when I am driving and safely pulling over to retrieve messages and to make calls,
- Ending phone calls/texting once I learn that the recipient is driving,
- Reducing or eliminating other distractions while driving, including eating, reading, programming the GPS while moving, personal grooming and other activities that take my mind and eyes off the task of driving, and
- Being a good role model for co-workers, friends and family by driving in a safe, distraction-free manner.
I will encourage drivers, co-workers, friends and family to drive safer by:
- Waiting until they have stopped driving before trying to contact them,
- Being patient and not expecting immediate responses to calls or texts, recognizing that they may be driving,
- Working together to implement a plan for acceptable response time when they will be driving, and
- As a passenger, sharing responsibility with my driver for arriving safely and offering safe solutions when my driver attempts to drive distracted.